Featured / Community / Education / 29th November 2022
10 Questions: Work experience edition
Meet Stephanie Graham, the newest addition to our little news crew! Steph is a Year 10 student at Coonabarabran High School, and has nominated to spend time at the Coonabarabran Times as part of her work experience program.
For the next two weeks, Steph will learn what it's like behind the scenes at a regional newspaper –all the ink, sweat and tears that go into our weekly rag! We spoke with Steph about her expectations for the placement, plans for the future, and her cat, Kittywinkles.
1. Hey Steph, welcome to the Coona Times! How’s your first week going?
Thanks! I was super excited to start here, it’s been really fun and also a great opportunity to see what the environment would be like working in a newsroom.
2. There are lots of options for work experience. Why did you choose the local newspaper?
I’m not completely sure what I want to do as a career but I’ve been really interested in journalism and writing, so the local newspaper sounded like the perfect place.
3. This is your first time working in a ‘newsroom’. What has surprised you so far?
Since I’ve been here, what really surprised me was how short the deadline was to get a newspaper made.
4. What’s a goal (big or small!) of yours while you’re here?
My main goal while I’m here is to see and understand how an idea is created/researched and from that, an article is written.
5. You recently moved from the city to the country. What’s your favourite thing about small town life?
I’d have to say how quiet it is here and how easily it is to cross a road without all the traffic, also the wildlife around here is so much cooler than in the city.
6. You’re in Year 10 at Coonabarabran High School. Which subject do you enjoy most and why?
My favourite subject has been the same for basically my whole school life, English. I love studying different texts, writing essays, reading, etc.
7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In 5 years, I hope to be in University, with a clear idea as to what career I want to do.
8. If you could interview anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
If I could interview anyone it would probably be one of my favourite actors/actresses, like Johnny Depp or Adam Sandler. Maybe even a famous author like Steven King, it would be interesting to ask him how he came up with all his novels.
9. Christmas is coming up – what’s your favourite thing about the holiday season?
I absolutely loooove Christmas! I don’t even think I could choose my favourite part, I love making Christmas cookies, decorating, going Christmas shopping, looking at all the lights at nighttime, watching Christmas movies. The only thing that would make it better would be if it wasn’t so stinking hot!
10. What's your go-to way to wind down after a day at school/work experience?
Depending on the weather, I either make a hot or cold drink and sit down with my cat, Kittywinkles, watching a movie.